St Mary Aldermary
The church escaped relatively lightly in the 1939-45 War: all the windows were shattered and some plaster fell from the vaulting but the building itself remained intact.
The post-Fire church, built in the period 1679-82 under the supervision of John Oliver, one of Christopher Wren's deputies, does, however follow the Late Perpendicular style of the Keeble church. There are probably several reasons for this: the fact that it was the wish of the parish that the structure of the new church should as far as possible be like that of the old, the greater independence which the parish had in the design of the church because they were not reliant on money from the Coal Tax, and the economic sense of making use of the walls and the foundations that remained after the Fire. The church is the only surviving Wren church in the City of London built in the Gothic style.
The picture shows a plan view of the church and which parts of the building existed before and after the 17th century.
The dimensions of the church are: length 100 ft (30m). breadth 63 ft (19m) and height 45ft (14m). The tower is 135ft (41m) high.
Although the church was one of the 89 City churches destroyed or badly damaged in the Great Fire of 1666, the foundations and parts of the walls, as well as the base of the tower, remained intact. Some money was provided for temporary repair of the tower in 1676, but it was not until 1679 that finance became available for major restoration of the church. In many of the histories of the church it is said that the money came from the estate of Henry Rogers, a wealthy Somerset gentleman, and was given on condition that the new church would be a copy of the old building. While it is true that the benefactor was Henry Rogers, it is now established that no such condition was imposed by him.
Departures from a late mediaeval fabric lie in the mouldings in the spandrels (the coats of arms are those of Henry Rogers except in the two spandrels nearest the chancel where the arms are those of the See of Canterbury and of Archbishop Sancroft); and in the unique plaster vaulting in the nave and aisles which makes the church such a joy to visit. It will be noticed that the east wall lies at an angle; this is because, when originally built, the wall followed the line of an existing passageway.