Repairs to the turrets at the top of the church tower are now complete. The iron cramps which had been inserted into the structure when it was built in 1710 had rusted and cracked the stone they had been intended to support and there was a risk that the turrets would become unstable. The work has been carried out by Universal Stone under the direction of Richard Molyneux of Molyneux Kerr Architects.

   (c) Richard Molyneux

   (c) Richard Molyneux

St Mary Aldermary

Repairs and Restoration

Repairs to the Tower

As with many other City churches which were damaged or destroyed, the lower part of the tower of St Mary Aldermary survived the Great Fire of 1666 and probably dates back to 1518 when the new church had been built. In 1674 the tower was floored and roofed, but it was not until 1701-04 that it was reconstructed to the design of William Dickinson, one of the surveyors working in Wren's office. Iron cramps, set in lead, were used to reinforce the stonework.

Several oyster shells were found inside the walls of the tower. Oysters, fished from the Thames, were part of the staple diet of workmen in the 17th and 18th centuries and the shells had been used to pack the stones in place.

Over the years many of the cramps rusted very badly and the expanding corrosion cracked the stone. The recent work was to remove the old cramps, replace them where necessary with stainless steel, and make good the damage with new stone. 

These cramps measure 1 to1.5 m long.